Friday, May 24, 2013

Chilean Hospitality by Tiffani Griffin



Made by my host sister, Juliana, for when I arrived at their house.
Born and raised in Louisiana, I'm used to our welcoming southern hospitality. However, the hospitality here blows ours out the water. As soon as I arrived off the airplane, I was greeted by hugs and kisses from all 4 of my new family members. Then I was surprised with a welcome home party, complete with balloons and decorations. My family had prepared lots of food, including, homemade alfajores (or cookies), fruit skewers, pie, chips, and juice. Then I was given two presents from the children. Juliana's present included a very cute handcrafted card (shown above) and chocolates, which are my favorite. After eating the party food, my host parents served dinner! They were very welcoming, excited to have me, and made me feel right at home. They gave me my own room and space in the closet for all of my clothes. What really showed me that I became part of the family was when Viviana showed me that she bought me my very own slippers! Each member of theYepes house wears slippers every night and every morning. She even knew exactly what kind of slippers to buy! They were tiger slippers! Geaux Tigers :) 

My Tiger slippers that my family had ready for me on night 1 !
My host family always makes sure that I have anything and everything that I will need. They prepare me more food than I can eat for every meal and always makes sure I have enough layers on to keep warm. One day, Viviana gave me her jacket because she saw that I was cold and didn't have a thick enough jacket. She is like my mom away from home. She takes care of me like she would her own and always makes sure I am happy. She even makes a special trip to school everyday to pick me up so I don't have to stay later after school with her son Manuel and his extracurricular activities. She's one of the most selfless people I have ever met, and to my surprise, every person in Chile is just like her, extremely giving and lives to please anyone but themselves.

After attending church on Sunday, my family stopped at a beautiful waterfall named Laja. They have seen it numerous times before, but wanted to stop just for me. We ate at a resturant with the view of the waterfall and then walked down a trail to take a closer look at it. This was my first waterfall I've ever seen before. We stayed here a good 2 hours eating and taking in this amazing view.


The breathtaking view of Waterfall Laja.
Me, Juliana, and Manuel at the waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment